Jan 27, 2009

Happy Chinese New Year



Gung Hei Fat Choi (happy new year)



January 26th was Chinese New Year (and my mom's 48th birthday) So today was such a special day. Me being a quarter chinese I wish that I could have practice a little more of my chinese traditions. But since my grandfather died when I was only two, my chinese part of my life kinda faded away because my dad forgot a bit of his roots.This year is the Year of the Ox , symbolising prosperity through fortitude and hard work so I know this year we'll prosper through the hard work Nick does. my baby works so hard at what he does, his job is so dangerous on lifts and ladders working on ceilings, being 30 feet in the air. I shiver thinking about it. He works in the cold, in the heat in the wind and rain (and snow) If it's anyone I know that works hard it's my husband. He goes through a lot at work at those hotel buildings and when he comes home it doesn't stop there. I don't think he has the time to kick up his feet. After work he calls me everyday to ask me if he needs to run to the store for last minute things I might need, in a week he probably goes three times.. so pretty much everyday. Then at home he showers, comes down to grab a baby and play while I make dinner. Then he asks me "is there anything you need hun" mostly I try to not ask for much, but he lifts a hand anyways. So I know there is no one in this world I know more that should prosper through his hard work more than Nick. But I do hope well for everyone too.
Chinese New Year Traditions:
Red Envelope: for wealth put money in even numbers
Eat Sweets: It will forcast a sweet year
1st day of the year: Gamble for it's the luckiest day of the year (Nick lost $100 darn, maybe cuz he's not chinese i should have went haha, next time)
Clean house before New year: to wash away old grudges
Wear new clothes: to ensure everything new
Open doors and windows: let bad things out, good come in
FORBIDDEN ON NEW YEARS
Sweeping :sweeps away your luck
Offering anything in fours
Getting a haircut
buying shoes
Crazy traditions, our family only practices some not all. Believe me there is a longer list.
I have these mailboxes I'm using now (was saving for valentines day) but I told Seth, if he is good then the next day when he comes down for breakfast and the flag is up that means there will be something waiting for him in his mailbox. Since it was chinese new year I decided to do my "red envelope" tradition and put chinese candy in the mailbox for them.. they loved it!!
And Happy Birthday mom wish we could be there I lit a candle on a cupcake and videotaped the kids singing Happy birthday to mama and sent it to my mom's email at her work ..she told me stop making her cry. For her bday I bought her heels, her favorite lancome lipstick (30 bucks for whale fat wow!!) a $50 dollar Olive Garden Gift card, and made a custom bear w/ a shir that had plumerias and said "happy birthday mama" on the front and "love Seth, Lailie & Iliana" on the back courtesy of customistic my favorite store, I make everything there.. And Chas got some dinero for her and Jon and my dad and Tiff got her a big screen TV...cute cuz Jon made up her favorite filipino gameshow gameboard, pieces, prizes and all and everyone joined in and cheering her on( chas and Tiff dancing)..She had two x's third x she's out but she got 3 TV symbols so she won...and my dad pulled out the TV ..how neat!!!

No comments:

Past Blogs